Saturday, August 25, 2007

Miss Potter


Last night, Farmer Dad took Princess over to her friend's to swim
and eat dinner, and I was left to my own devices.
First, I pulled out an old Blue Oyster Cult cd and, after damaging the cats hearing,
I settled down with a cup of tea and some light tomato sandwiches to watch
the movie Miss Potter, based on the author's life.It was very pretty to watch, and I loved
the way they showed her illustrations coming to life,
but I did feel like they left something important out.
I know it's a lot to expect them to really cover her in depth in the space of
an hour or so. It was lovely to see a glimpse of her world.
This morning Princess and I watched it together. She lost interest in the movie
once she was an adult and they had "all the talking", but she picked up her Peter Rabbit book,
and went off to "draw".
I of course sat through the entire movie again, because it is so beautiful.
Now I sit here wondering if cleaning out the ice maker will do the trick, or should I call the appliance repair man
now to make an appointment for Monday. I found one old ice cube tray and filled it, but I need ice.
Is it too pathetic that I can barely deal with the very idea of getting through a day without my ice maker?

12 comments:

Daphne said...

You are faced with quite the conundrum. Given my current lack of motivation on the tackling of my freezer problem (read as DH's exploded beer bottle), I would suggest digging out the pre-historic ice cube trays and rather than using ice out of it as you need it pop 'em out and toss them in a ziploc baggie so you can stock pile. I hear it's quite warm and humid up that way - good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

As huge Beatrix Potter fans, NatureGirl and I watched "Miss Potter" over tea as well. It was lovely. I have to say though, that we both thought the actress who played her fiance's sister would have been a better Beatrix, hands down!
Glad you enjoyed it! I makes me want to take a trip to the Lake District one day.

Jenny said...

I enjoyed Miss Potter too, although my tea was iced when I watched it! I hadn't thought of it until I read Angela's comment, but I agree that the sister would have made a better Beatrix- I guess she wasn't a big enough "name". I'm ready for the Lake District too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet but I think it'll be the perfect late afternoon movie. Also, I like the way you have the individual Potter books, we have a large compilation, but I've found it to be difficult to see all the lovely illustrations. Are they clear and big in the individual books?

Alycia

C's Learning Treasures said...

Beautiful post,your afternoon sounded so lovely:)

Yesterday was the hottest day of the summer, I think well needed ice!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It sounds like a relaxing time. I will have to rent the movie.

Garden State Kate said...

D- that's what I've been doing.
I miss my crushed ice though!
A- I agree, P and I were talking about making just such a trip ourselves one day.
J- sounds like a "road trip" across the pond is in order,lol.
A,in Va- The little books are quite lovely and a recent freecycle gift!
C- Yes I did need my ice! :-)
M-Yes, you would love the movie.

Me said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but its at the top of my netflix list. (i love my netflix, and stay up way too late with good movies) I just bought my nephew the Potter book box, he is only 9 weeks old but it's never too early for good books!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a lovely time. I can't wait until I get a chance to watch Miss Potter, too, and without the little ones around.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get this movie--it's in my Blockbuster Q--I've been obsessed with Ewan McGregor since Moulin Rouge. :>)

chanale said...

I enjoyed the movie very much, although I didn't know anything about Potter's life, so I can't say what was missing from the movie. My husband was amused by my audible sighs when the Lake District scenery was shown.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to see the movie. Your post has me running off to my library's website to put it in a loan request :)

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .