Monday, August 13, 2007

100 Books you should have read....

Here is the list (I copied from Nina)
The books I've read are in RED

Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
I Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Oh! The Places You Will Go by Dr. Seuss
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Thank You Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Seuss
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Crunching Carrots, Not Candy by Judy Slack
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willlems
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
Corduroy by Don Freeman
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
Tacky the Penquin by Helen Lester
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (this was a big favorite of mine as a child!)
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type
Doreen Cronin (we love all her books!)
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
Horton Hatches the Egg
by Dr. Seuss
Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park (not a huge favorite of mine)
Little House in the Big Woods
by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini
The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
Olivia by Ian Falconer
The BFG by Roald Dahl
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Bark, George by Jules Feiffer
Bunnicula
by James Howe
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom DeLuise
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
Frederick by Leo Lionni
Frindle
by Andrew Clements
Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen
Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss
How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
I Love You, Stinky Face
by Lisa McCourt
Is Your Mama A Llama? by Deborah Guarino
Jan Brett’s books
Knots on a Counting Rope by Bill Martin Jr.
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
No David! by David Shannon
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch
Swimmy by Leo Lionni
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Warner
The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper
The Empty Pot by Demi
The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown
The Last Holiday Concert by Andrew Clements
The Napping House by Audrey Wood
The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Now I see we still have some reading to do.
How many have you read?
I'm going to have to make my own list and maybe I'll try to get Princess
to make her own as well.
If you make your own list, be sure to let me know, I'd love to read it!

15 comments:

Patricia said...

How many have I read?? Not nearly as many as you have. Looks like I have a lot most reading to do.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Alot of great books! BTW Can you email me here imtb3@aol.com because I want to give you my new blog address,I had to change it because of family issues:(

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

I know have to make my list. I have no idea how many books we have read.

Gottfredsen said...

I think that I am going to have to make our list now. Does all of the reference books that Sammy reads count?

Garden State Kate said...

Thanks for visiting Gals!
P- I hope you're sitting with a good book right now.;-)
C & Y - I never think to keep track of most of what we read, but blogging about some of them helps,lol.
H- yes, it does to me!

Me said...

We love Roald Dahl, and The BFG is really a neat book. P might enjoy it now, or maybe a little later. Good book to read aloud.

Anonymous said...

Oh my oh my, run don't walk to the bookstore and purchase a copy of Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. You will love it. Thanks for playing along. I like the idea of creating my own list like Beth at Tiger Moon did. Although, it would take so deep thinking. :)

chanale said...

I thought about making up my own list of my top 50 picture books, but I don't think I have the energy. :) You can see some of my favorites here (sorted by star rating): click here
...but I haven't finished rating all the books.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I just came across your blog as it was linked to another that I read. I also have one daughter, age 3. I am hoping to homeschool her formally, but we do lots of learning activities in our daily life. Just wanted to say that I am looking forward to looking though your blog more. Feel free to stop by mine also:

http://web.mac.com/alyciawright1/iWeb/The%20Power%20of%20One/Welcome.html

Alycia

Garden State Kate said...

Thank you both for stopping in and leaving a message!
C- I will be stopping in to check out your list soon.

A- I can't wait to check out your blog too!

Daphne said...

I definitely have some books to check out! I must say I was disappointed that The Peter Rabbit series didn't make it, although I perhaps they are a bit dated. Thanks for showing me something new to partake in.

Penelope said...

I'm with you....we're not big fans of Junie B. either! I was happy to see a few Dr. Seuss books on there. I've often heard them criticized, but my kids love them.

Mrs. Darling said...

Okay I did this on my blog and I ended up with far less books than anyone Ive seen so far. Im going to start reading some of these. Better late than never.

Cher Mere said...

Z's read 68 of them.
Thanks for the list!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I am finally getting around to this. Ami has read 76% of the books on this list, and I have read 81%.

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .