Friday, August 24, 2007

Here comes the sun.....




My favorite George Harrison song (he being my favorite Beatle).
Of course, it brought the humidity back with it, so I'm not sure I'm as
happy as I could be about it.
Princess and I have been quietly going about the usual Friday home cleaning
and laundry thing and guess what I found? Her wooden blocks!
Embarrassed to admit they were right under my nose in a box I have been in and out of several
times of late. Problem was they were stored in a muslin bag that was much smaller than I remembered.
I'm guessing that Princess was so little they seemed bigger? I don't know, but she'll need more of them
that is for sure. I will take a picture of them soon.She is in watching cartoons with our friend's son who is
visiting for the afternoon. They are playing with the blocks as they snack and chat.They both patiently wait
for the other to finish building so they can knock it all down.Very cute.
I have gravy cooking in the kitchen and pizza dough rising for dinner.A lovely box of things we received
from a fellow Freecycler on Thursday, that needs to be put away, sits beside my desk.
I will have to take a picture to show Patience especially, for several things reminded me of her immediately.
I hope the sun is shining for all of you as you read this. I need to check my gravy, and then I will take some pictures and post them.~ OK, here are some pictures. The first one is from last night of Princess playing piano,
the middle one is of some of the goodies from our schoolteacher freecycler. The blanket and pillow were made by her Mom for her favorite doll when she was a child. I thought of Patience when I came across the
Pride and Prejudice and Little Women paper dolls. They are put away for now.the rest of the box was chock full of note pads,notebooks,pencils,necklace making materials,chalk,crafts kits and stickers that I did not photograph.
Princess gave her some "beanie baby animals" and some books that we had that were either not to her liking(trucks,etc)
or copies (we have picked up at library sales and from freecycle) for her students. She works in a district where many children do not have their own books, and they have a program where older students read to the younger ones along with a gift of a stuffed animal and a book to keep. The older kids raise money for the books and gifts for community service credits, and
our friend picks up what she can from freecycle to help out.Princess had quite a few beanies from her cousins
and obviously didn't need them all, so we packed up a box for the kids who don't have any.
I had her choose which to give away.I was surprised by the amount she collected.
She is much more generous than I gave her credit for being.

The last picture is of her "singing the squirrels awake" and probably the neighbors.
She likes to do this every morning.

10 comments:

Cher Mere said...

OMG! I am drooling over those paperdolls! P&P!

C's Learning Treasures said...

I love P's hair in the picture:)

We have sun and humidity too, it feels like a steambath.

Garden State Kate said...

Hi Cher- I know...they are so pretty!

LWO- Thanks, the top "blue thing" is a ring she insisted was a "hair thing",lol.
I'm steamin here too, and my ice maker appears to be broken...and I can't find my old ice cube trays.....
ugh!

Unknown said...

The Little Women and Pride and Prejudice dolls look lovely, but I can't tell what those books are??

P looks cute, too. Does she play piano?

Garden State Kate said...

Hi Divina- The box of books is the
"Original Peter Rabbit and Friends Library" by Beatrix Potter

P "plays" on the piano, but she hasn't really learned how to play yet.Thanks for visiting!

Daphne said...

P makes me smile just about as much as my own children. Sophia and I love reading Peter Rabbit and Friends too, I gave her my box set that I received as a gift when I was baptized (decades ago). It's sweet that P sings the squirrels awake, Sophia chases them (and the bunnies) out of our yard yelling "I saw you eating my vegetables!", that's not quite as friendly.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Sweet photos. Have a nice weekend :)

sarah said...

Oh my dear Kate! How lovely that you thought of me - and obviously appropriate too, for I lingered over the photo of the paper dolls, my heart singing (and sighing just a little with envy) ... and then I read your mention of me! :-)

How lucky you are, I wish I could find things like that here.

I love that Princess sings the squirrels away. What a joyful soul she has.

Anonymous said...

What a great find. Sometimes freecycle can be super. I am glad the sun is back as well, but oh how miserable to be humid again.

SOunds like you are enjoying the last days of summer!

Amber (Bouncing Buttons) said...

P. is such a kind girl! I bet she gets that from her Mommy! BTW thanks for all the words of encouragement and kindness you gave me over the last week or so! I wish I could find the words to let you know how much that lifted up mood.

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .