Monday, August 6, 2007

Here are the actual books we are reading...


Well, at least some of them.
Like Butter on Pancakes
will make you want a stack of pancakes..or maybe that's just us.
Written by Jonathan London with illustrations by G. Brian Karas.
Lovely story about a boy who wakes to sunshine streaming in the windows
and the smell of bacon and pancakes in the air.

The next three books also have illustrations by G. Brian Karas,
Cinder-Elly by Frances Minters
which is a delightful modern twist on the Cinderella tale, and
The Spider who Created the World by Amy MacDonald
is not really our cup of tea, but we took it out because our library did not
have the book Little Beaver and the Echo
that Nina recommended.
It is a creation story, which does not appeal to my little "science girl".
She has watched too many Nova episodes with Farmer Dad to
enjoy this story about how a spider takes a piece of the moon and sun and makes the earth.
We also have My Crayons Talk by Patricia Hubbard
which I just knew Princess would like because she "makes" her crayons talk and dance
all the time.We laughed out loud all the way to the end.
I'm pretty sure that Jenny(see link below) recommended Piglet and Mama by Margaret Wild with illustrations by Stephen Michael King.
Very sweet story with adorable illustrations.I'm sure Jenny described it better than I can, but let me just say,
we loved it!
The last book I will write about today was also recommended by Jenny
Rainflowers by Ann Turner Pictures by Robert J. Blake.

We really enjoyed it and almost wished it were fall for a moment while reading.The pictures really bring the thunderstorm to life in this book.



3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so glad that you and Princess enjoyed Piglet and Mama and Rainflowers- we just read them both again before her nap this afternoon! I'm a pancake freak, so I'm going to have to look at that one, and the crayon book looks adorable!

Garden State Kate said...

Yes, thanks we really did.
I hope you enjoy the pancake book with a nice pile of pancakes!
:-) I may have to make some tomorrow morning.....

chanale said...

Oh man . . . now I'm hungry for pancakes but too lazy to make them. ;)

I've added a couple of those to my library list to pick up on my next visit. I can't believe there's not a single copy of Rainflowers in the entire city library system serving a couple million people - a travesty, I say!

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .