Monday, April 23, 2007

Books on Monday is Back!!



This week is International Invention Week, so we will be reading a couple of books
about inventions and inventors.
These are really aimed at older children, Leonardo da Vinci for Kids
(His Life and Ideas 21 activities) by Janis Herbert

Because we share a birthday, he has always been a favorite of mine.
The second is GIZMOS & GADGETS
(Creating Science Contraptions that work & knowing why)
by Jill Frankel Hauser
is part of the KIDS CAN! series and has won many
awards, such as the American Institute of Physics Science Writing Award
I'm only using these books to "wet our feet", so I don't see it as a problem.
On Thursday, we will be celebrating ARBOR DAY by reading the following:
TREES by Allen J. Coombesthis is a visual guide to more than 500 species of trees.(this is a fall back in case the children's books don't have info she asks me, or trees we have in our yard)
Our plan is to identify the trees in our yard.
Be A Friend to Trees by Patricia Lauber and illustrated by Holly Keller
this is a Let's-Read-and -Find-Out Science book.
TELL ME TREE
(All about trees for kids) by Gail Gibbons
This is a great "tree guide" for kids with an explanation of photosynthesis
and a special section on how to make a tree identification book of your own.




Open House

If I were a tree
I'd want to see
a bird with a song
on a branch of me.


I'd want a quick
little squirrel to run
up and down
and around,for fun.


I'd want the cub
of a bear to call,
a porcupine,big,
and a tree-toad,small.

I'd want a katydid
out of sight
on one of my leaves
to sing at night.

And down by my roots
I'd want a mouse
with six little mouselings
in her house.


Aileen Fisher

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great list. Is Arbor Day really this week? Is it really the end of the month already. Eck. I need to pull out my copy of Tell Me Tree. I haven't read it to Citcat yet. Will Princess really sit and read the visual guide with you. At Citcat's age her attention span won't tolerate it. It might be the year difference in age between C and P. It is always an unfolding journey.

Hey you made links for your books. Hey! Now I can easily book mark all your good ideas.

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .