Tuesday, January 15, 2008

BOOKS

I have seriously lost track of which books I blogged about and which books I have not.
I have a basket full of library books next to my chair
and a shelf above my desk with the library books we are specifically using for "school".
Here are a couple of books we are reading for fun right now...I hope they are not duplicates..
Veronica by Roger Duvoisin
Veronica was a most inconspicuous hippopotamus, until she traveled to a pink and white city
where she became a most conspicuous hippopotamus!
Princess loves big words like conspicuous, so we had fun reading this story and the drawings are pretty delightful as well.

Sammy and the Dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow and illustrated by Adrian Reynolds
Sammy finds an old box in the attic filled with dinosaurs.His sister says they are junk, but he knows better and fixes the broken ones.He calls them all by name "You are my Triceratops," and very quietly the dinosaurs answer him back.This cute book sets out to prove that dinosaurs aren't really extinct, you just have to know how to care for them properly!

We also have Harry and the Dinosaurs at the Museum by the same authors.
Princess has been wanting to go back to a "science museum" as she calls them.
In this story, Harry visits the museum with his bucketful of dinosaurs and they want
to get out and look around.Harry's Mom tells them they might get lost and should stay put,
but Harry starts to play with them and he gets lost.

We also have two Eve Bunting books out right now,

The Memory String with pictures by Ted Rand
which I must warn you is about a girl who's Mom has died.
I like the idea of the Memory string of buttons from special outfits,
but it was just too sad for me.

My Backpack with illustrations by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
is a much more upbeat story about a little boy who gets a
"new to him" back pack in the mail from his Grandma
(who bought it a a garage sale)and proceeds to put everything in it from his
brothers baseball mitt to his Mom's shoes! Princess thought this was very funny
.

Now we are off to "celebrate" Hat Day! We will be re reading Do You Have a Hat?
by Eileen Spinelli
and playing fun games with hats and listening to Laurie Berkner singing about hats in her song
"This Hat". You can order your own copy of her Under the Shady Tree cd or find the lyrics here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I booked marked the Memory String (for me to read-can't see reading it to Cit but I like the idea of a memory string as well.) and My Backpack. I love everything by Eve Bunting.

I also love the Do you Have a Hat?

Hope Hat Day was a big success! So many fun things you can do with that.

BTW, I have a huge pile of books I want to blog about as well. It's the number one reason why I never seem to return as many books as I want. Maybe I'll write a big book post tonight.

Mrs. Darling said...

Humph! I havent read any of those! I need to catch up!

Lisa said...

I downloaded the free version of homeschool tracker and theres a great little reading log in there. I added myself as a student to keep track of my own reading , appointments and stuff. Its working out great, might give it a try.

Garden State Kate said...

Oh Nina..I do hope you got time to post about your books..I'll be by later to check!
Mrs D..lol I always feel the same way when I read what others are reading...and then I have to go back to the library!

Lisa- I tried to e-mail you, but I keep getting an error message.
I tried homeschool tracker, but I keep forgetting to use it.lol
My big problem this week was that P took the pile that hadn't been blogged about and mixed it with the already written about pile..apparently she thinks all those library books are for her enjoyment,lol.

Gottfredsen said...

Lots of great books as usual. I actually have the "Do you have a hat" on hold at the library. Now I just have to go in and get it. LOL.

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .