Monday, July 30, 2007

Brunch Play date



Today we had a play date for "brunch". Great group of Moms and kids, but I paid for breaking
my "never leave the house on Monday" rule. Princess has been staying up late and sleeping in lately
and I woke her up today at 5 minutes before 9 am to leave for our play date.
She was fine, until we were there for about 1 hour or so, and then it all came crashing down.
Rude, badly behaved....I was embarrassed. I also knew it was my fault.She is always more tired on Monday, and
needs to have a "down time" day with no outings, or visits. Just us, at home, jammies..all day.
Farmer Dad goes back to work and we chill. I really wanted us to both have our play date, and I paid.
The drive home was disagreeable and when she finally conked out, I knew I would pay for the unscheduled nap as well. We picked up lunch on the way home...yes I bribed my daughter with junk food from a drive thru window!
We had just settled down when my brother-in-law stopped by to help Farmer Dad with some work on our house.
She was delighted to see her uncle, but still not fit for visitors. I sent her to my sister's with my niece and her boyfriend where I hope she is having fun..at least it is quiet enough here for me to check my e-mail and download some pictures from earlier today. I even got out to the garden to help pick some tomatoes (those the ground hog hasn't taken one bite out of!) and black berries. Don't hate me because my daughter and I are both cranky...we'll be more agreeable tomorrow...I hope. Now I will try to load up some more pictures of our messy garden on the garden blog.

11 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

Those days are always so fun. I feel for you.

sarah said...

Ah, we've all btdt. Even now I know I can't push my eight year old beyond her limits. Tomorrow will be better :-)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

The blackberries are gorgeous!

Ami doesn't sleep either. I woke her at 8 today even though she didn't sleep until midnight last night. I was prepared for a bad day, but actually she was joyful, busy and creative today. So maybe there is an optimum time for waking??? I am going to wake her early tomorrow too because I can't take these hours! I wish I advice, but you have my empathy.

Anonymous said...

I think the hardest part of being a stay-at home mom is giving up the social WE may need because our children are just not able to handle as much.

As the mom of a former difficult child, I have to discourage REWARDING her for bad behaviour though! It will just prolong her tendency to do so! But you know that! ;)

Wishing you a smooth day today!

Garden State Kate said...

Thanks Heather and Patience- I am hoping today will be smoother.

M- Good to know I'm not alone, thanks.
The blackberries were delish too!

A- I know, I know ;-)
But honestly...I gave in because I needed a coffee!! Pathetic I know.

Cher Mere said...

I have totally had those days. Think of this as just reinforcement for what you already know. We all have to deal with those cause and effect reminders sometime.

Sorry you had a cranky day. I hope today is better.

Jenny said...

Oh, I know how that goes- you want to get out of the house and have some fun, and juts hope everything will go OK. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't- I think we've all done it. All you can do is try to do better next time! I hope you and Princess are having a much better day today.

And the blackberries look wonderful- I hope they taste as good as they look!

Garden State Kate said...

Thanks Cher and Jenny!
Today has been a bit better, and yes, the blackberries were great!

Patricia said...

I just experience one of those days with my twins. I don't think I'll ever be invited back again. It was the first time they both went off at the same time. Yikes!

C's Learning Treasures said...

Those berries look great!

We all have those days,just wait for the preteen years:0

Garden State Kate said...

Thanks P. and LWO- it's always good
to know someone has one more handful then you(P's twins) and I have so much to look forward to...the preteen years! ;-)

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .