Monday, May 21, 2007

Picture Books
















































Today I have a few new books from our library:
Days Like This by Simon James is a great books of poems about being outdoors.
Different Like Coco by Elizabeth Matthews is a picture book about the life of Coco Chanel.
Princess loves all things French right now, and the pictures are great.
Having worked at Chanel before becoming a SAHM (although in the financial end), I was intrigued
enough to bring it home and Princess has been sitting looking at the pictures over and over, so I have to say for
us, it is a hit!
Looking For A Moose by Phyllis Root and illustrated by Randy Cecil reminded us of
We're Going on a Bear Hunt, and it was enjoyable.
ART DOG by Thacher Hurd, is a story about Arthur, the guard at the Dogopolis Museum of Art
who becomes a "superhero artist" when the moon is full.It was fun to read and after looking at the pictures
we just had to make some art of our own.
Tomorrow's Alphabet by George Shannon with pictures by Donald Crews was a fun take on an
alphabet book for us.B is for Eggs...tomorrow's Birds.
Tumble Bunnies by Kathryn Lasky illustrated by Marilyn Hafner was a nice read, but Princess was not into it.
She did enjoy the pictures of the bunnies and I enjoyed this tale of Clyde finding out he doesn't have to join
a "team" sport to participate in the Sports Spectacular. We'll take this out again when she is older.
Ocean Commotion SEA TURTLES written and illustrated by Janeen Mason is a beautifully illustrated
introduction to the Loggerhead Sea Turtle. It has a very nice glossary in the back for terms that may be new to the reader, and lists some web resources for further information about this endangered turtle.
Princess really enjoys this type of book right now, so we'll be taking this out again if we don't buy it.
A Million DOTS by Andrew Clements and illustrated by Mike Reed captured Princess's
attention. She keeps trying to count the dots and we all thought the pictures were really cool.
We have many more to cover, but I will get them up Tomorrow.We have to clean our shells from Yesterday.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to read the squid book!

Patricia said...

I always look forward to your Monday book list!

Anonymous said...

I, too, look forward to your list. I read the Coco Chanel book but not to Citcat. I wonder if she might be interested in it a year or so from now. I'm always amazed by what Princess will do and listen to at her age. I hope my dd will be the same. I loved the Coco book. The illustrations were fantastic. I had to keep remembering that it was intended as a biography and not a picture book because at times reading it was less than rhythmic.

The Sea Turtles book looks interesting. I'm off to book mark some of them.

Garden State Kate said...

Thanks for the comments Gals!
We loved the turtle book!!
We've been doing "turtle stuff"
all day and will carry over into Wednesday, as that is "Turtle Day".

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .