Monday, February 19, 2007

President's Day

I always worry about how to impart age appropriate information to Princess.
How do you teach a four year old about George Washington? Abe Lincoln?
Nina over at Painted Rainbows and Chamomile Tea has some great book ideas.
(I cannot get this to link,so use the link in my favorite list if you 'd like to check her out)
I was not planning on doing much other than a picture to color and a small talk about
why we celebrate President's Day. I just didn't think it would "click" anyway.
Saturday night we were watching a show on George Washington on the History Channel
and they were showing a pair of his pants. Princess looks up from her coloring and says
"they should get him some new pants", I tell her they are over 200 hundred years old and
belonged to George Washington who was the first President of the United States.
She replies," you mean my President George Washington who's picture is on the dollar bill?"
My jaw dropped. I asked her how she knew that..actually I stammered something like"h-h-h-how did you know that?" and she says,"Mom, I have a dollar". Then she brings it out from in her room to show me.
OK then...guess I did my job.
Today was not our usual Monday as Farmer Dad had off from work. I did get to take a nap this afternoon
for about an hour..it was lovely! Nothing else was done around here except that Princess helped me make some more bread and some pizza dough for dinner.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .