Friday, February 16, 2007

Love is still in the air around here....

or maybe it's just the sweet smell of the hyacinth Farmer Dad brought home on Valentines Day.
I love that smell. Thursday was a school day here, but we didn't do anything exciting.
Princess was not interested in "sitting" for very long so we did a worksheet to practice
her letters, and read some books and she pulled out some cars and dolls and played most of the day.
It was supposed to be the start of our "bird" unit, but I'll hold off until she is interested so she actually
learns something.It used to frustrate me when she was uncooperative, but I have decided to use those days
as a reminder of why I homeschool.The flexibility to change what we are doing to better suit her needs on
any given day.Next week we will be covering Pancake Day,Chinese New Year and possibly the beginning of our Bird Unit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of hyacinths. I should really buy myself a plant. This is the time of year to do it. I'm looking forward to reading about your bird unit. I might post about a few bird books that we liked. We haven't formally studied birds but Citcat can recognize a fair number of birds. She knows they lay eggs and that it is good to feed them in the winter. Oh and that they eat worms. I'm interested to see what else there is to know.

I'm sure you are ahead of me in planning for Chinese New Year which is sad since my dd is Chinese. It is so difficult to approach CNY because all the books show large Asian families gathering. We will be going to a CNY celebration with other adoptees next week. We were going to one today but we have had another couple of inches of snow and I don't want to chance it. My dh is out of town this weekend so I would have to drive the hour trip by myself.

I love that home schooling allows us to follow the child's lead. I seem to be following my daughter around looking for a chance to teach her. Everything has to be on her terms which can be difficult at times.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

I love th gymnastics. I think I will be starting that with kids. i love to the pics. :)

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .