Thursday, January 29, 2009

Learning through food

We do a lot of that here in our little corner of
the Garden State. Sometimes, it's learning while
we grow it, sometimes, while we prepare it,
sometimes we just enjoy learning about
things while we eat it.
Wednesday, we Princess practiced measuring
while we made our Blueberry Pancakes for
National Blueberry Pancake Day.


They were delicious!
Then she worked on China a bit more...







Tuesday was National Chocolate Cake Day, but since Princess
was not feeling well, we put off celebrating until she was feeling better.
We colored a picture from here for both days and if you like that try this one too http://www.lauranumeroff.com/
We then worked on more math, when we measured out for this



Sometimes, after dinner, Momma gets to enjoy this


while Farmer Dad teaches Princess something really important,
like how to make it to the next level on one of their computer games!

8 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

Sounds like a very yummy way to learn.

Anonymous said...

The last photo looks wonderful! My dh plays video games and it drives me crazy that my son knows something called "the monster game." Agrrhhh....

The book geek in me wants to know what book you were reading. :)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It looks like she is feeling better now. That's good.

Tara said...

What better way to enjoy a Mommy break than with a cup of coffee and some cake!!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad SOMEBODY's working on China.

See? This kind of thinking is why I haven't posted recently :-)

Has P tried crepes yet? Younger Eena requested blueberry crepes over her birthday weekend, which made me crabby (everything does lately) because WHAT's WRONG WITH PANCAKES? I don't have to THINK about pancakes; crepes, I can't make until I've had half a pot of coffee.

I have to admit, they were pretty darned good crepes. I loved pancakes as a kid, but I can eat maybe half a pancake these days, otherwise I need a Tums and a nap!

When P learns about France, I'm recommending crepes.

Also, if you're still working on China, my mom's copy of The Joy of Cooking had a fortune cookie recipe in it that was every bit as simple as pancakes and crepes, although the folding takes practice.

If you tackle fortune cookies, be sure to post P's best, most cute & clever fortunes!

Sandra Lundy said...

that coffee and cake looks delish! Yum! I love how you celebrate every day.....beautiful!

Rockin' Moroccan Mama said...

Yum!!!! Your house always seems so cozy and wonderful. I can "smell" your food and feel the warmth of your drinks. What a great way of learning.

Frankie said...

I'm the one that notices the pretty dishes. lol (And there's that pretty table again!)

Looks like a fun day!

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .