Friday, May 22, 2009

Do you give prizes for good behavior?

We spent some time this week in the garden radishes were harvested...had a play date with the Sweet Prince which was cut short due to tired children.

A round of Monsters Inc Life with Mom and make your own sundae cheered her up

Yesterday was spent at Great Grandma's waiting for the skylights to be repaired..all day.We packed up some boxes of books for them while we waited, and played with the dog.
Princess was a really good sport, she got extra computer time for being so good,and as she was playing, she shifted her weight in the chair, the chair came out from under her,and she landed on her back with a scream..after smashing her face into the oak computer desk.I was two feet away preparing dinner, saw it, could not stop it.
She banged her lip and knocked her two top baby teeth loose..one is sticking straight out.
One emergency visit to the dentist later, and we will wait for it to come out on it's own,
and take an antibiotic for 10 days..then return.
She is lucky. No stitches..nothing broken..no injury to permanent teeth. I let her pick out
a new book (Fancy Nancy's Explorer Extraordinaire )and a DVD (Eloise) because I had a gift certificate, and she was so good at the dentist. We also picked up supplies for the crabs and we will give their tank a good cleaning this afternoon.I'd show a picture of the damage, but she will
not let me photograph it.Do you give prizes for good behavior? A surprise treat when life is just going badly? I do. That is just the way I roll.

14 comments:

Tara said...

I'm glad there was no lasting damage and send wishes for a speedy recovery.
And yes, I'm part of the random gifts and surprises club. It just makes life a little nicer.

Wendy said...

Ah the fun and the not-so-fun stuff. Glad P is fine and I hope she heals quickly. :)

sarah said...

I'm so sorry for P's accident, poor thing. I am the same as you, I reward especially good behaviour - not always with something material - and I always acknowledge any kindness and consideration as well. And random treats are just something I do to make myself happy seeing her so happy.

Becky said...

Poor thing. I would definitely go for prizes after such trauma. Thank goodness it was the baby teeth.

Chawksgirl4ever said...

yes most defineltly and some suprises when life is not going right as it quite frequently does not for katarina,really bad asthma and allergies,sometimes she has to stay inside on the best days to be outside.it make me sad for her.but she is getting better.she has been on allergy shots for 7 months now.

patrice said...

the little darling!
ak! i hate it when they get hurt...
it seems as if she is really growing that she could be so patient at GG's and at the dentist.
so much to celebrate!
warm wishes for peace,
p-

Homemade Happenings said...

Oh no, poor P!! I cringed when I read about her accident. I can't stand when kids get hurt! Thankfully they were only baby teeth. I hope she is better soon!

Oh and rewards for good behavior??Quite often around here. We are struggling with behavior issues right now so we are trying to ignore the poor and overly praise the good. Not sure it's working yet. :)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Ouch, poor P, I hurt reading it. Oh, I hope the soreness and bruising do not last too long; the image she has of herself at the moment might be as painful as the bumps.

Sara said...

I give treats. And I don't feel bad about it.

Cher Mere said...

oh no! Poor thing, that's terrible! :(

Prizes for good behavior? Definitely!

Sandra Lundy said...

oh no! i hate to hear about her accident! i hope she's feeling better now :)

and prizes....absolutely!

Toni said...

I do give praise and rewards for good behavior not all the time but when it is extra special. they deserve to be recognized.

So glad she did not need stiches and for an injury or sickness yes we do get something special for them or do something special- like a get well tea-.

Lynn Hasty said...

It breaks my heart to think she fell like that. Poor baby. And it's so hard when you're right there and can't stop it! I'm glad Princess is recovering and glad she got some special treats from you to cheer her up. You're a wonderful mommy!

Lynn

Angela said...

Poor girl! Gifts were absolutely in order! She is so lucky that they will come out on her own! I tripped over a cane at six yrs and broke five baby teeth that required surgery. All I got was popsicles for a week!

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .