Friday, August 1, 2008

O! say can you see.....

Today we celebrate the birthday of Francis Scott Key. The successful American lawyer and amateur poet who penned The Star-Spangled Banner was born on August 1, 1779.
Originally titled "The Defence of Fort McHenry", it was written on the back of a letter Key had in his pocket.
During the War of 1812, Dr. William Beanes, a prominent resident, was taken prisoner by the British. On September 5, 1814, Key, accompanied by the government agent responsible for prisoner exchange,
John S. Skinner, set sail from Baltimore to the Chesapeake Bay in order to find the British fleet and negotiate the good doctor's release. While Key and Skinner were successful, the three men were not allowed to return home for security reasons -- they had learned important behind-the-scenes details of the pending British attack on Baltimore.
Anchored off-shore behind the British fleet, Key and the others watched as the Battle of Baltimore raged on throughout the day and well into the night. As artillery lit up the moonlit sky, they kept a watchful eye on shore. In the morning's light, it was the American flag they saw flying atop Fort McHenry...the British had retreated.
The events inspired Key to write the famous poem that Congress proclaimed the U.S. National Anthem in 1931.






O! say can you see by the dawn's early light What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming. Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming. And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Sharing a birthday with Francis Scott Key, my great-nephew,
born 2:28am today.
7lbs 14.5 oz and 20 inches long.

I will share a picture of the handsome young lad when I get parental permission.
I will tell you,as a totally unbiased great-aunt, he is gorgeous!
Normally, we would have celebrated the birthday with great fanfare and cupcakes around here,
but Princess has a slight runny nose and I feel like I have the flu. I'm pretty sure I am just being a
wimp, but I do feel pretty crummy. Have a great weekend!!

5 comments:

sarah said...

Oh no, I hope you get better soon! Wishing you lots of health and happiness.

Jennifer said...

Oh, drats!

My sore throat was a snarky bit of fiction in retort to a comment from Torben Bop. I hope your flu symptoms are quick to vanish.

Here's something mildly humorous for you to enjoy while you heal:

When my little sister was about Princess's age, she asked questions all of the time. One question was, "Mom, why does our country have two names?" My mother explained the difference between "The United States" and "America." My sister said, "No, no! It's 'The Unites States,' and "'Tizuvthee." -- as in, "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty..." Her next question was "What does 'daunserly' mean?"

Mom replied, "I'm not sure. Can you use it in a sentence?"

Sis said, "Oh, say can you see, by the daunserly light?"

Since hearing that story, "daunserly" has always evoked for me visions of faint sparkles in darkness, like fairy dust.

I love our National Anthem, and I love "America," and I cry every darned time I hear school children singing "America the Beautiful" in their innocent soprano voices.

To your grand nephew, a heart-felt welcome to an ever-improving world, that's improved again, only because he's entered it! Many blessings, and every happiness to him and to the family who loves him!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your new nephew. That was a nice history note to write for your nephew on the day of his birth. I hope you are both better soon so you can go see him.

Kari said...

welcome new baby! My favorite part of life!!

reprehriestless warillever said...

Welcome to the world, little one!

I hope that you and P are well enough to meet him soon.

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .