Thursday, March 26, 2009

Earth Hour 2009

Where will you be when the lights go out?



Will you be sitting at home watching the lights go out all around the world,
on your television? Wondering why and thinking..."I should have done something..."
Turn out. Take action.
Please be a part of this historic event.March 28, 2009, 8:30 pm local time .
World Wildlife Fund is asking us all,individuals, businesses, governments and organizations around the world to turn off their lights for one hour – Earth Hour – to make a global statement of concern about climate change and to demonstrate commitment to finding solutions.
They have a cute site for kids here..
http://www.earthhourkids.org/


Last year, our little Garden State Homeschool took part,
and we had a great time, the dining room table was set up with board games,
and snacks. The candles were lit all around the room, and we turned off everything we could.
Turned the volume to "off" on our phone, and sat down together for some old fashioned fun.



Princess and Farmer Dad provided some music. We'll be doing it again this Saturday.

I really wanted my town to get involved, but it slipped through the cracks of all I want to do.

Will you join us?

What will you be doing when the lights go out?

I can't wait to see your photos the next day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, how can I rmember to do this. 8:30 local time, no need to calculate to another time zone. That should be easy. WIth any luck we will be asleep. ;)

Si woke for the day at 2am. He's sick now. So fun.

Thanks for the reminder. To be honest, there won't be much for us to turn off. We use only the light in the room we are in, no tv, no radio usual plays. I've even started powering down my computer for long stretches of time during the day.

Oh, gotta run. Si is screaming in his nap. He's been up since 2 and still doesn't want to sleep.

Homemade Happenings said...

Thanks for posting about this - I have it marked on my calendar, but that's currently burried on my desk! We are a big candle-using family normally so that won't be a big deal. But we are a huge movie watching family, so that will be our challenge - we"ll do it though!

Tara said...

Owen and I did this last year- so fun. Actually I found it incredibly relaxing to just slow down, shut off and be in the moment.
I'm thinkin' we may do s'mores by candleight this year!!

Subscribe Now: poweredby

My homeschool buddies and I are all posting pics of our "home schools" as part of our idea sharing.

Plato said...

Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion has no hold on the mind. Therefore do not use compulsion, but let early education be a sort of amusement; you will then be better able to discover the child's natural bent .